Chania Municipal Market (Agora)

Built in 1913 as vegetable, fish and meat market for the city of Chania, it officially opened to the public 3 days after the union of the island of Crete with Greece. The architect, K. Drandakis, built the market were the mortar of the southern venetian walls were. This is evident by the difference of height between the north and south entrance to the building. During the Nazi occupation, most of the marketplace was used as a storage space for the German army. Today, although there are some shops selling local products, there are also many souvenir stores. Entrance is free.

About Chania

Chania (Greek Χανιά, also transliterated Hania or even Khania) is a beautiful port town on the north west coast of Crete, with an atmosphere reflecting its Venetian and Turkish past. Highly livable spot. Understand Chania and the long row of beach resorts stretching 20 km west along the beaches of the Chania bay is a well visited destination for Scandinavian charter trips. Chania, being the nearest city, is an attractive destination for sightseeing and shopping for many tourists. Here is plenty of opportunities for eating and drinking on Greek tavernas and modern cafés that are open into the night. The old town is centered around the harbor, it is a maze of alleys and houses that has been standing for many hundred years rebuilt,ruined and built up again with details from the different epochs. Old town is full of souvenir, art and crafts shops; the new quarters house the regular span of shops, here you can find the most of your needs for the hiking or other adventures. The beaches begin…

Fort Firca

The fort still known with its Turkish name, Firca (Firka = barracks) was built in order to protect the entrance of the harbour. A thick chain from Firca to the base of the light-house closed the harbour in case of siege. The fort was the headquarters of the Military Commander of the city.

The inside area was divided into barracks and ammunition warehouses. The buildings of the west wing have two-floors with dome covered rooms.

Over the door of the first floor there is the following inscription : “ALOYSIUS BRAGADEUS PROVISOR CYDONIAE M. DCXX”. In the centre of the court, there is a large water reservoir, where the water running from the roofs was collected. In the period of the Turkish occupation and until fairly recently, Firca was used as military barracks and a prison.

The flag of the Unification of Crete to Greece was symbolically raised on the corner watch-tower on 1st December 1913.